Seth, Shannon, Piper and Quinn Dunlop
The story of our little family and our modern day journal

Monday, October 17, 2011

History thru matches







You definitely appreciate everything more as you get older. That's one of the beauties of aging.
I loved my grandparents. I miss them all the time. I wish they were alive so I could appreciate their hard work and lives more now that I am able to really understand.
I've talked a little bit about them before. I am totally bragging about them, but I am so proud to be a descendant from them.
My grandpa was Lincoln Carter White. He was a great businessman and loved to fish. He owned Bullfrog Marina in Lake Powell at one point. He also owned Schubachs Jewlery for years. Massey of Massey's Jewlery, still in business, exists because of my grandpa. When he came to this country my grandpa taught him the business. I love going into Masseys and hearing the guys talk about my grandpa. Schubachs is still around but he sold it many many years ago to another company. His generosity was legendary. Something that got passed onto my mom. My grandma was Aline White. She was a spit fire. She owned rental property around the valley.
They loved to travel. They paid for my college education as well as my siblings and cousins. Thank you a million times.
When my grandma died I got her match collection. They have sat in a box for many years, and this past week I found some old Italian olive jars and displayed them in our home where they can be enjoyed.
Wow they are amazing. They are a eye into their past. A glimpse of where they went and places they loved. I wish they were still alive to tell me about their travels, but I will just imagine them going to all those places and smile.
I am so grateful to come from these amazing people. I hope my grandchildren will think of me the way I think of them.

3 comments:

  1. That is so incredible Shannon! What a wonderful legacy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great people!! I love grandparents. Especially ones that left an amazing legacy like them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Shannon! Funny, I found a stash of similar matches at my Grandma's cabin this summer. Loved looking through them and thinking of their travels too.

    ReplyDelete