Seth, Shannon, Piper and Quinn Dunlop
The story of our little family and our modern day journal

Monday, February 15, 2010

Used Treasures


This past week I fell in love with this old home on Glenmare Street. This old woman had lived there of 68 years. She just died in December. Her family is selling her incredible home. While walking thru it I spotted a sofa and 2 matching chairs in the basement. They are from the 1950s/60s. The cushions need to be recovered, but the arms are this neat old wood with metal legs. They are amazing. It turns out that the sellers are close friends with Seth's parents. They gave the furniture to me. So incredible. (Thank you Jack and Nancy!!) I can't wait to find a fabric that will fit that era and have them recovered. I am so grateful for this treasure/gift. I wondered as I drove off if I hadn't mentioned how neat they were if they would have just ended up in a dumpster. I am an American, and haven't lived too many other places, but I think we are so wasteful. I went shopping at Target today, so I am just as guilty.
I am beginning to see the beauty in these wonderful old treasures that you can find in little local shops, estate sales, old homes being sold, and gifts that your grandmother gives you when she dies. I truly am finding that these used treasures are cheaper, and much better quality. They aren't made in China, and they have such a rich history. I love the thought of serving dinner to my family on dishes that other families have eaten off for years. I think of the conversations that all these families have had while using the same dishware. Piper's high chair is from the 1950s. It was $50.00 from the Green Ant. So much cheaper than buying one from Target.
My brother Patrick has had a passion for mid-century modern anything for a long time. He collects furniture from this era, and has absolutely amazing stuff. Maybe it's just the fact that he is my older brother and I want to be like him, or maybe his good taste is finally rubbing off on me. I feel better knowing that I am buying used, not from China, and filling our home with classy old history.





2 comments:

  1. You are so amazing Shannon...you may want to be like your brother, but I want to be like you :) You are so right...maybe we will have to start treasure hunting together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't wait to see what the furniture looks like when you are finished! i LOVE finding an amazing piece to be apart of my home....those canisters are amazing! im totally lovin them!

    ReplyDelete