Seth, Shannon, Piper and Quinn Dunlop
The story of our little family and our modern day journal

Friday, February 19, 2010

Reading

"You may have tangible wealth untold: caskets of jewels and coffers of gold. Richer than I you can never be...I had a mother read to me." Strickland Gillilan, The Reading Mother

Piper and I spend much of our days with her books. Seth and I have read to her since she was a baby. Reading is such a large part of our days. She brings me a book and plops down in my lap. It's a way for me to hold her close without her wiggling away in 2 seconds. She is beginning to read her books to us now. She's not reading yet of course, but she flips thru the pages and makes her sweet little noises.
The ability to read well does so much for us. We probably don't think much about it. We are fortunate enough to live in a time and place where literacy isn't an issue. That's what I thought, but I have patients from time to time who can't read. I can't imagine anything scarier. How lonely would the world be for someone who can't read or write. In the United States 14% of adults are still illiterate. Women account for 2/3 of that statistic.
Our goal as parents is to prepare our children for the world. To love them. Reading is the best gift we can give to our children.
Here are some of our favorite books right now.
-Someday by Alison McGhee and Peter H. Reynolds (I absolutely can not get thru this book without crying. My mom gave it to me and wrote a note in the front about what a wonderful mother I am. If you have a child, especially a little girl, buy this book. I promise you won't be disappointed)
-The Carrot Seed
-Barnyard Dance! (Seth and I act out the motions. When we are tired at night we get loopy and start rapping the words. It is so much fun)
-On the Night You Were Born
-Goodnight Moon
-The Very Hungry Caterpillar
-The Giving Tree (might be my all time favorite)
Go to Barnes and Noble on a Friday night and head to the children's section. Seth and I took Piper a couple of weeks ago, and we looked up and noticed it was all parents on a date with their children. So sweet!
If any of you have a favorite book you would like to share will you send us a note.


4 comments:

  1. Love all of your Children's book choices. One of my favorites that I just finished reading to Landon (next Project 52 picture) is The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. It is a chapter book so better suited to late preschool and early elementary age. Beautiful and touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet...such a smart little angel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you ladies. Thank you so much for all your sweet comments and love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someday is one of my favorite books too...so touching! I can't read it without crying either.

    Some of Cleo and Flynn's favorites are:
    My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss (a great early book about different moods/feelings)
    The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear
    Llama Llama Red Pajama
    Runaway Bunny (possibly my favorite illustrations in any kids book) and the spoof for Halloween Runaway Mummy is also really cute too

    Love picturing you and Piper reading together....you are doing such a great job.

    xoxoox

    ReplyDelete